DEKRA/TUV/EC - tuning homologation

  • Entschuldigen Sie bitte mich, ich spreche nicht gut Deutsch :)))

    I am from CZE and I am asking for help! Do anybody know, if it is possible (and how) to homologate tuning parts on our cars in Germany? Here in CZE, you cannot do it, but CZE must respect german TUV/CE homologation. I want to do full exhaust on my BRZ, but americans have no TUV/CE/DOT of course on that. It will pass emissions and noise, but you know it is not officialy legal. I would love to have legal car, because I really don't want to have problems in Germany, austria and swiss - police here are mental!

    I have found Tuning - DEKRA this site and this PDF…Vaw34CdkhvRjWMvh9vUf-4MBN, so it seems it should be possible, and also I know a guy in germany who does superchargers with TUV. But I would just like the exhaust, rims, etc.

    Can anybody help please?
    Thank you very much!

  • I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, but assuming that you would want to be legal in accordance with German standards, just a short and rough explanation about the German system below.

    Of course this is a bit dumbed down, so please feel free to ask about specific points.
    There are also a lot of people here that are firmer with this stuff than myself, so take everything with a grain of salt.

    There are several kinds of documentation/certificates that you can get together with tuning parts:

    a) e-Mark. If parts have an e-Mark, like e1, e4, etc. and you use them as intended, you don't need any documentation, as the authorities have access to this data.
    Doesn't hurt to carry the respective papers with you, though (if there are any) to save some time in case of discussions.

    SAE and DOT certifications alone are NOT legal in Germany, if not combined and approved in connection with any of the below.

    b) ABE (Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis): This allows you to install a part subject to compliance with all the provisions in the accompanying certificate.
    These may encompass things as fitment, tire size, having the installation inspected by a certified technician, etc.
    If all these points are fulfilled, you just keep the ABE in your papers, and you are legal.

    c) Teilegutachten ("parts certificate"): These are a lot like ABEs, however the installation must be inspected by a certified technician as per §19 of the StVZO (Strassenverkehrszulassungsordnung - we Germans love long words!).
    After successful inspection, the technician hands you a certificate, with which you would go to the authorities, to have it entered into the car's papers.
    They probably would not have the slightest idea what to with a Czech papers :D

    d) Materialgutachten ("material certificate"): If you want to have something inspected with this certificate, you may have a hard time, and be at the mercy of the inspector.
    As this certificate only contains the properties of the material that parts are made of (and not anything about the part itself), due to strict local laws, normally inspectors seem to try everything to refuse inspecting these parts as per the applicable §21 StVZO.
    IF you manage to get an approval, again you would have to head to the authorities to get same transferred into your car's papers.

    Also, if you combine several parts (even if all these parts have an ABE for themselves), of, say, an exhaust system or wheels plus suspension, you still need a full inspection of these parts together, and the ABEs are worthless alone. They will only be used as basis for the full inspection in this case, and basically act as parts certificate (see above).

    Competent inspectors for §19 and §21 inspections vary between Eastern and Western Germany. East you would go with DEKRA, West with TÜV.
    I do not know if this is still in place, this bit of Information is a few years old.

    On a more practical note, some of them may not be very fluent in English.

    This is how things would work in a perfect world - however, if the German Police still have doubts about legality, they may warn or fine you, or even impound your car (depending on the severity of their allegations).

    I don't know how informed your locals are about laws in Germany - Hint: All the documentation is in German anyway...

    Hope this helps. Here is a Long German word as a bonus: Fussbodenschleifmaschinenverleih.

    Edit: Just noticed this was not short at all.
    Makes me think our system is a bit over-regulated and every foreigner will probably shake his head in disbelief :P

  • Thanks a lot. Well, I think that the whole idea is this: parts I want have NO e-mark. For example, if I want JDL exhaust, Chargespeed bottomline kit or any intake = no e-mark, since all these parts are USA made and they don't care about Europe at all. So my goal is to legalize those parts...

  • I don't know for sure, but i think that a car has to be registered in Germany so that the added parts can also ne added in the registrationdocuments you carry with the car. One more thing you should check before making the changes. And are you sure that you can legally register the car with all the changes in your own Country again? If this was so easy we all would register parts in belgium (or netherlands?) Where they have much less restrictions...

  • What you plan to do is not impossible, but will be horribly expensive!

    To certify a complete exhaust system, you would have to prove three things:

    1. overall safety( will not fall off, no sharp edges etc) not difficult, not too expensiv

    2. noise emission laws from the date of first registration are not exceedet, which is easy, but not cheap to prove.
    The TÜV/Dekra could do the necessary measurements.
    Much more difficult to find an exhaust system that does not exceed the quite strict limits of today!!
    Some specialised shops go that route for catback exhaust systems.
    You could speak to RHD Speedmaster for example.

    3. Exhaust emissions have to meet at least the EURO 5 regulations for older Models, for facelift it has to be Euro6 ( I think, you would have to research that
    depending on your date of first registration)
    Measurments could be done by TÜV/Dekra as well, but would be quite expensive.
    You would have to find a header and a frontpipe with working catalitic converters.
    From what i read the headers with best powergains have no cat, which would not pass the tests because of gas emissions and noise.
    Even high flow cats could meet gas emission standarts but be too noisy.

    I would estimate that only the testing fees would amount easily to the cost of an complete exhaust system, not calculating mounting and the time for preparation
    and driving to the test site.

    User chireb was working on a streetlegal catted header, bt we have not heard from the project for a time now.
    I have not heard of a streetlegal catted frontpipe yet.

    If you decide to go through with the project i wish you success and good luck,


  • No, there are several options for streetlegal catbacks in europe. They all beginn after the secondary cat in the frontpipe.

    The problem starts when you try messing with the header and frontpipe because these contain the catalytic converters.
    I don´t know about any headers or frontpipes which can be legaly substituted because its a small market and the emissions testing is very expensive.

    So up to today nobody bothered to make a Teilegutachten for those parts, because there is no profit to be made.

    A number of forum members has done swaps of headers and frontpipes but to my knowledge all of them are illegal.

    MFG Carsten

  • Yeah, that is what I ment. Catbacks are fine, but I wanted to legalize full exhaust (headers - frontpipe - catback)
    It seems, that only possibility is to be illegal and hope... Since I don't want to have loud/raspy/ exhaust, perpaps I will be safe.

  • From what i´ve read in the american forums youre best bet to get ( a bit ) performance without being to obnoxious loud
    would be to substitute the ceramic cats with highflow metal cats.

    You could use the stock header and frontpipe and weld in the new metal cats which would be quite stealthy and not to loud.
    If you don´t want to sacrifice the oem parts sometimes used pipes are offered in our "for sale" forum.

    Best powergains would need a tune on a dyno or a e-tuning solution where you buy a tuning software, take logs and email them to a tuner.
    He then would email you back the revised tune to flash your car.

    A well known tuner would be GP Performance, haven´t had any work done there yet but met Patrick once, makes a competent and honest impression.
    He told me that the only worthwhile power/euro gain would be a panel filter and a OTS ( of the shelf) tune, after that its a lot of money for quite small power gains.
    ( OK, he does compressor and turbo fitting 8) )

    Some reading to keep you occupied over the weekend :D :…b4b3c752396618025e502&f=8

    Good luck and success Carsten

  • maybe an unique exhaust from a tuner is something for you. i have got a full exhaust from goldtimer (klick). the exhaust consitsts: catless header (el or uel), over pipe, catted front pipe, resonated mid pipe and silencer. the price is round about 3.000€ with "TÜV certification". i prefer the quites silincer from goldtimer or a catback with "abe".

    85% aller autofahren wissen nicht, wie viele kolben, welche räder in ihrem auto antreiben!

    Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Yuri ()

  • maybe an unique exhaust from a tuner is something for you. i have got a full exhaust from goldtimer (klick). the exhaust consitsts: catless header (el or uel), over pipe, catted front pipe, resonated mid pipe and silencer. the price is round about 3.000€ with "TÜV certification". i prefer the quites silincer from goldtimer or a catback with "abe".

    wohoo do you have any video? If he can give TUV than that would suggest it is somehow possible!